Monday, November 2, 2009

Sri Lankan Farewells

From the time I have broken the news of Me Leaving Sri Lanka forever to my colleagues, Staff at the Hotel, My Clients... have been getting these funny reactions from them...


By Funny reactions I mean something which I Just did not expect...beyond expectations...


My Last Working Day @ SL Office :


The team did let me leave office early, they wanted me to stay back till late ( Though they have been wishing and praying for me to leave the country from the time I joined the SL office :) )


In the evening the team had organised for a High Tea as a farewell party, which looked more like a formality without any emotions, I was handed over a souvenir and a card and the team bid me Good Bye forever... could see the happiness on their face saying good riddance...


Farewell Most Unexpected :


In the evening on my way back to the Apartment....got a call from Rumiaz and Mansoor who wanted to catch up for coffee in the evening....first I was reluctant but thought it would be good if they came over...as I was over burdened with work from India.


The time decided for coffee was 19.00 hrs but the same was re scheduled to 20.30 hrs... well I thought of Dinner instead of coffee....


Sharp 20.30 hrs they were at the Apartment holding a couple of Bags in their Hands.... before I could enquire about the bags... Mansoor handed over a small Bag to me and saying they had got my Favourite Burgers for me to enjoy..... oh! it touched me some where.... I had that pain in my throat... never expected someone not related really thinking about me so much.....


I really wanted to order in one of the Best Dinners for them....so called the Chef and asked him organise the Best Dinner he could in the Apartment.... the staff came in set up the Table and laid the Italian Dinner with Lobsters, Prawns, Fish, Chicken, Lamb, Pasta, Risotto.... and No Alcohol...


I was touched....just had no words for them...why were they doing it for me...I just had a professional relation with them...a Client and Service Provider Relation...they really took time off to be with me....


Post Dinner Mansoor prepared coffee for all of us.... and just wanted me to sit in the living area and took charge of the Kitchen....


Before leaving they handed over a big box wrapped up... and wanted me to open it...they said it was a farewell gift for me.... It was a beautiful Shirt... I just did not know where to look... I hugged them and thanked them....


Soon they left.


Oktober Fest Farewell :


Yohan ( Sales Manager , The Hotel Residence).. Called me the next Day, and invited me over to the Oktober Fest @ The Hilton Colombo (Oktober fest is known as the Beer Fest in India).


He said it was a farewell dinner to me and the entire Sales team was sad for me leaving the Apartment for Good.... I was surprised as I had nothing to give him...for business nor I was any future Business prospect for him....


The Oktober Fest was a great experience with so many German Expats around...Free Different kind of Beer flowing all over... loved the BBQ...


The over all it was good experience and loved the farewell....


Halloween Farewell :

Joana walked up to me to the Swimming Pool while I was chilling with a nice chilled Beer in my hand.... well it was the first meeting, she introduced herself to me saying she was a great fan of me and has been noticing me swimming, chilling, roaming around the pool for the past few months.... and heard about me leaving the country for good, so wanted me to come for her Halloween Party....

I found it a bit strange but did accept the invitation.... The Party was not too Bad...but the People were really warm...I did dance, though I was not comfortable as Sri Lankans are great Dancers...but did manage to dance with a few Girls around who tried teaching me Salsa ;)...but was good fun.

The Joy Ride Farewell....

Wow... Nilanka drove the car around Colombo @ 120 + kmph... and made me sit on the front seat... I freaked...but the dude would just keep increasing the speed....would never forget...

That Evening I was touched...my friends from the front office wanted me to come out with them for dinner...Nilanka and Asanka were @ the Apartment to pick me up...they treated me out for Dinner @ Raja Bojun ( an amazing place to eat Sri Lankan Food)...

Later during the evening our Old Friend No. 7 Mr Jack Daniel's was presented to them by me.... rest is that no one reached office on time :)

I am really touched with the affection of the people @ Sri Lanka, it was so unconditional...they all knew I would never be coming back....I could give them nothing... but all wanted to be with me.... I am so touched with my Farewells...


No comments:

Post a Comment